Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

As much Faith as a Penny

For this blog I want to share with you my budget saving tips but I also think a bit of our story is important.  This week I was reminded of one of the hardest lessons our family learned during the adoption process.
On Monday we took Sadie and Nolen to get Frostys from Wendys (of course we had free coupons).  One of Nolen's favorite things in the world is a Frosty.  He has this little dance he does while eating one and says he is happy.  We need to video this one sometime.  Anyway, while we were leaving Sadie found a penny on the ground.  I had to overcome my germophobia and let her pick it up.  She picked it up and cherished it the whole way home.  After we arrived home she put it in her piggy bank.  I later asked her what she was saving her money for, she responded "a sister."  Faith like a child.  She has complete faith that the penny in her piggy bank will fund another adoption for a sister (the only thing Sadie wants right now is a sister).  This was very humbling for me because we had failed to have this faith early on in the process of adopting Nolen.

A little history.  Prior to adopting our family lived in Memphis, TN.  Both Chad and myself worked outside the home.  We also worked on the side by flipping houses.  We flipped four houses in the Memphis area in three years.  Life was very busy during this time.  When our daughter Sadie was born I became a stay at home mom.  When we decided to adopt we started to look for things to supplement our income.  Unfortunately this was something we did and not God.  We struggled to see just how "we" were going to pay for this adoption.  The problem was we were focusing on the "we" and not God.  We decided to flip another house.  I am sure most of you know this but the housing market then went to the pits.  Our family was fortunate enough to rent the home out until we were able to sell it.  The house did not sell until after Nolen's adoption was complete and paid for.  God used this to show us that our ideas, no matter how big, would never measure up.  God showed us how to have a debt free adoption while we were losing money on one of "our" ideas.  Without his amazing grace during this we surely would have screwed it up.
I hope we have learned this lesson but I am sure as history shows, Chad and I will never stop learning this one.  If only as adults we could put all our faith in a penny.  Everytime I have seen a penny this week I have focused on the word trust.  I think God put that word on a penny so that when we are having financial difficulties we can look at a penny and be reminded to trust in him.  A penny is my new mustard seed.  I hope those of you trying to fund an adoption will use this as a reminder to pray and commit all things to Him.
Jeremiah 29:11
 "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
  

2 comments:

  1. I just recently came across your blog and wanted you to know how much I was enjoying going back and reading from the beginning. We adopted our son from Astrakhan 10 years ago (almost to the day). I can't believe it's been that long. I am very happy to hear that adoptions are still happening in Astrakhan.

    God had a plan for us. We didn't always know what it was, we didn't always understand it, and to be honest we didn't always like it! :) But, as I'm sure you know, it soon became evident that He knew best. We were always meant to be this child's parents.

    God bless and I look forward to "following" your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately Astrakhan is currently closed to adoptions. They closed last April. This was hard news for us, it is difficult to think about all the children we met at the baby houses who now must remain there. Thank you so much for following our story, we are honored to get to share it.

    ReplyDelete