Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Fundraisers/ ADOPTION UPDATE

Many people choose to do fundraisers to help pay for their adoptions.  Some common types are yard sales and t-shirt sales.  Adoption yard sales typically involve family and friends donating items to the yard sale.  The adopting family will then get to keep the proceeds from the sale.  I have also known lots of families who have had t-shirts designed and sold them to raise money.  This seems to be a popular choice for adoptions.  Chad and I have discussed doing this, please send us your inputs on this idea.  I have also known families to have bake sales.  I think these are all great ways that people use to raise money for their adoptions.
Chad and I choose not to participate in any fundraisers when we went to Russia for several reasons.  One of those is our God.  We felt like our God had called us to adopt and was requiring us to have the faith that He would provide.  We had to learn this lesson the hard way a couple times and I hope we are done with those experiences.  At that time we felt like actively fundraising was saying that God we don't trust you with this,  we are going to do all that we can do to raise the money for this adoption.  Therefore, Chad and I choose not to do any fundraisers.  We finally learned to put the finances of the adoption in Gods hands.  This actually did not 100% happen until we were in Russia during the second trip.  Once we were done screwing them up and let God take control of them everything work out wonderfully.
To those of you trying to decide if you should do fundraisers or not: Pray about it.  God might use your fundraiser as an amazing opportunity to spread the gospel.  Or, He might just be trying to teach you a lesson.  We are still praying about fundraising for the girls, I will let you know what the verdict is when it is decided.
Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. James 1:12

ADOPTION UPDATE:
This week our family received photos of girls.  They are absolutely precious.  I can not post them on the blog but if you are interested send me a message and I can email them to you.  We are currently in the process of deciding their names.  I have placed this responsibility on my husband and am waiting the final decision.  We also found out the name of the town where the girls are located.  We had a few travel questions answered and are beginning to collect the items we will need to travel to Uganda.  As far as the adoption paperwork goes, we are waiting on the documents for the girls to be collected.  Please pray that this goes smoothly.  This requires attempting to track down living relatives and other information that is difficult to find.  Please pray for God to ease our nerves.  I think we are all starting to feel the stress of taking our family to the other side of the world for the summer.

2 comments:

  1. Holly, I am so excited for your family. Am loving all your posts. They are awesome. I would love for you to email me pictures of the girls. I have not seen your sister or mom at church since you got the news. My email is janenason@gmail.com. I am rejoicing with you over what the Lord is doing for you. On another note, I would love for you to do a t-shirt. I would wear it proudly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IF you decide to do a fundraiser, I'll wear a tee and wouldn't turn down any baked goods. ;)

    ReplyDelete