Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

The Gospel is My Culture, Is it yours?

There have been many books mailed and referred to our family as we prepare to adopt.  They cover an abundance of issues from eating, bathing, and cultural issues with adoptive children. When you decide to adopt children from a different race you are bombarded with information about maintaining the child's culture and identity.  The books express the importance of giving the child a sense of culture identity in their new world.  Our homestudy agency, social worker, and adoption agency have all shown concern for these issues.  They all have good intentions and are wanting Chad and I to feel like we have discussed the issues that may arise.  One of the first things that arises in my mind when this topic is brought up is "not again."  What does giving a sense of their own culture mean?  Our family is the definition of mixed cultures.  In fact we will just refer to it as the Stewart's Crayon Box.  Our box is nothing like anybody else.  We can't tell you how it is going to work or what colors you are going to get, it's an experiment.  Our children are being raised up with a little bit of American, Russian, and Ugandan influence.  If you ask Sadie she will tell you Santa comes to our house twice a year once for American Christmas and once for Russian Christmas.  If anybody has experience with this I would love your input.  Anyway, with all these experts inputs on how we raise our children I can't help but get stuck on the fact that they leave out the most important aspect of "my" culture, the Gospel.  The culture that I will raise my children in is that of the Gospel of Christ. I want them to know that they are adopted by the King.  John says it  best "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in faith" 3 John 1:4.  All the other issues we will figure out.  I can't predict what will happen so please stop asking me what we will do when issues arise.  All we can do is pray that our children know the Lord.  For when this happens He will direct their paths.
Growing up I remembering being sung "Jesus loves the little children of the world."  I now sing this to my family but in an altered version.  If we just remember the culture of the Gospel when raising our children the rest of it will fall into place.
Jesus loves the little children
All the children of the world
Sadie, Nolen, Hadley, and Liana
They are precious in His sight
Jesus loves the children of the world.

2 comments:

  1. Holly, I met you tonight at Fellowship 686, and it was great to meet you and come across your blog. I was reading this and glad to see it, because I have thought the same thing when I have been asked how will I raise a child of a different race. I will race them to know they are God's beloved child! What could be more important??? During the beginning of this process, I often thought of this song to - probably the very first song I ever learned. Congratulations on your soon to be twins! Wow! That is great!

    ReplyDelete