Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Writing God Out/Into My Life

I was recently having a discussion with a friend about how we view events in our life.  We have the option to look at all things that happen in our lives as something of God or as something of the world.  This friend had recently read my post about time off work.  We were referring to my believing that God gave Chad an extra week of vacation to aid us in Nolen's adoption.  We talked about how easy it is for us to think that an extra week of pto is nice but just coincidence.  Why is it so difficult to admit that God does work in our lives?  We live in the age of science and reason.  My strong science background teaches me to look for hard evidence and scientific reasoning to explain the events of my life.  I learned in statistics that Chad had the same probability as everyone else of winning this vacation time.  But, I also know that God works in mysterious ways. If it is mysterious it can't be explained by science.  We are left with the choice: was it God or was it just the way the world turns.  I am so guilty of seeing the wonders of my God as just part of everyday life.  After this friend and I had the conversation I revisited the blog.  The first thing I read was the small intro shown just below the header.  When I ended it I originally wrote, "This is how we did it."  As you see I have know changed the intro.  I quickly changed it because I realized that I was writing God out of my life, I was trying to take God's glory from Him.  When I first wrote the intro I in no way had the intentions of not giving God glory.  It was just what came into my head, my sinful nature.  I am realizing that in order to see God's glory in our lives we must make a conscious effort.  In Isaiah 55: 8-9 we are told
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, says the Lord.  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
When God works in our lives we will not understand.  In fact, we are not capable of understanding.  But what we must do is follow Him and give Him the glory.
To my friends currently in the adoption process and to everyone else try to see the what is happening in your life as the work of God.  Include in this the little things.  It is easy to see God in the big stuff but I think we learn the most from the little stuff.  Paul told the people at the church in Corinth to "So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment