- Half of them are in sub-saharan Africa
- 60% of sub-saharan African orphans are aids orphans
- An aids orphan doesn't necessarily have aids but is orphaned because of aids
- Only 250,000 are adopted worldwide annually
-Interesting comparison: approximately 2 million pets are adopted annually in the U.S.A.
- 34% of Christians have shown interest in adoption
- Only 1% of Christians adopt, the main reason quoted for not adopting is finances
- If 6% of all Christians adopted there would be no orphans in the world
-98.5% of all orphans do not get adopted
- The average cost of domestic adoption is $25,000 to $35,000
- International adoption cost between $30,000 to $60,000
There are many things Christians are called to do in the Bible. The most important thing Jesus tells us to do is love Him. We are then told to love each other and make disciples for him. It is also made very clear to us that we are to care for the orphans. James, Jesus's brother by Mary and Joseph, states, (James 1:27)
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.