Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Two Novels and A BIBLE

Approximately a year and a half ago Chad and I spent 6 very long weeks in Astrakhan, Russia.  What do you do for six weeks in Russia.  It is easier to describe what you can't do.  You can't watch television, read the newspaper, listen to the radio, go see a movie, or buy a new book to read.  We did find a few things to do to pass the time.  A ridiculous amount of time was spent playing this little game called Farmville, we worked a puzzle, completed two entire sudoku books, walked a lot when it was warm, and played for hours with their beautiful children.  One of the things we were able to do was read.  The problem with reading was that we couldn't purchase books in English there to read so we had to read what we took with us.  Packing for six weeks did not leave much luggage space for books so I brought two novels and my Bible.  Due to lack of things to do I read my two novels within the first three or four days.  I even read one of them twice, something I do not usually do.  After that Chad and I set the goal of reading the entire New Testament during our trip.  It was pretty amazing to actually have the time (hours even days) to sit down and read uninterrupted.  The only time I find to read uninterrupted now is late at night while I am taking a bath.
The thing that I just don't like about this story is that I did not start reading the New Testament until I was out of other options.  It should of been the first thing I picked up to read.  Why do we turn to God last?  Why can't I just look to Him first?
I am not sure what my goals are going to be for this trip.  But I know I am going to attempt to read some portion of the Old Testament.  When I figure this out I will let you know and maybe some of you will read along with me.
For whatever was written in the former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.  Romans 15:4

Playing in Russian Hotel Room.
ADOPTION UPDATE: We received word yesterday that all of our paperwork and the girls paperwork is completed.  There are a few more random things to be done before they can be submitted to court.  We are asking for prayer for the court date.  We are anxious to get to love on our daughters and are wanting the judge to assign us a court date in a timely manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment