Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

What I Want To Teach My Children

I was recently writing something for an adoption organization.  They asked me to write a brief essay about the most important thing I want my children to learn.  Initially that seems like a difficult question.  Right now I want them to learn their ABC's in the correct order, to shut the door when they enter the house, I want them to say yes ma'am and no ma'am, how to drink out of a cup without spilling it, and I would love it if they could learn how to buckle themselves into their car seats.  Sounds silly, I know, but mothers of toddlers understand that these simple things have the potential to make my life a bit more pleasant.  But are any of these the one thing I want my children to learn? No.  When contemplating this question I remembered a piece of wall art hanging up in my grandmother's bathroom.  It is one of those that someone has cross stitched a Bible verse on.  The verse is in 3 John 1:4
I have no greater joy than to know that my children walk in truth.
The one thing I want for my children to learn is to love the Lord.  I want them to know Him and experience how amazing His love is for us.  This makes the little things like not spilling your drink seem a bit insignificant.  I have been feeling this a lot lately.  The aspects of normal life have been seeming non-important or even more like distractions.  Have I been letting these little distractions from allowing me to show my children to love the Lord?
I was also drawn to the great commission when writing this essay.  Matthew 28:19  "Go and make disciples of all nations. . ."  I am supposed to be teaching my children to be disciples.  The one thing I want my children to become are disciples.  God has been teaching me that the most important thing I can do for my children is to show them how to be disciples of Him.

2 comments:

  1. Once again, another great post - I love reading your blog. I'd love to read the essay when it's done too. We as Christian parents often need to remind ourselves (at least I do) that what the world sees as success is not what we see as success (and this can be very hard living in Williamson County and all of the excess). I agree with you wholeheartedly that the most important thing we teach our kids is to love the Lord their God with all their heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sue, I agree it is very easy to get distracted from the goal in the culture in which we live. Sadie is very much into ballet and I was feeling a bit guilty about not being able to send her to ballet classes. However, I have now found a peace with this because I know she will learn much more spending a month in Africa than she could learn in years of ballet.

    ReplyDelete