Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Note to Self: Don't Eat The Yams

Some of my close friends have gotten a joy about teasing me.  They say when we complete this adoption and believe our family is full we will get pregnant.  This sounds funny to some but is scary to me.  One of the couples we were with in Russia found out they were pregnant while in Russia adopting their second child.  I know my God will not give me more than I can handle but I think 4 toddlers at once is pushing it.
The baby home where are daughters live has three sets of twins and one set of triplets.  I recently learned that West Africa has the highest rate of multiple births in the world.  This got my inquisitive mind running and I started to do a bit of research.  I found that the high multiple rate is because of genetics and YAMS.  YAMS?  Yes, apparently there is a type of yam that is a staple in West African nations.  This particular yam contains a chemical that mimics female hormones.  It is thought to increase ovulation in women.  Crazy, I know.
While in Russia I ate a lot of potatoes.  Potato was a word I could pronounce and it was relatively "safe."  I sure hope I can find something else to eat in Uganda than Yams.
I know you are tired of this but please keep Voting.  Click on the link at the top right of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment