Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Day Trip to the Equator

A few weeks ago we took a short trip to the equator.  It was about a 2 hour drive from Kampala.  They had a science experiment set up a the equator, at which the science teacher in me came out.  I was upset that we did not have enough battery power in our camera to record the experiment.  There was a bowl with a hole in the bottom of it.  A man poured water into the bowl and you watched it swirl in different directions.  There was one bowl in the northern hemisphere, one in the southern hemisphere, and one on the equator.  I have heard of this experiment before but I thought that the bowls would need to be quite a bit of distance apart.  But I was wrong.  They are about 15 feet from each other.  The water on the north hemisphere rotated clockwise while the water on the southern hemisphere rotated counter clockwise.  The water in the bowl on the equater went straight down.



1 comment:

  1. How cool! Yeah, I wish you had your camera too! That would have been a great video.

    ReplyDelete